Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A quick review of official Facebook app for Android


Today Facebook launched their official app for Android. And contrary to TechCrunch's review, I liked it at first glance. Since I am not an iPhone user, I am not comparing it to the iPhone version. Instead I am comparing it to other facebook apps like Babbler Lite which are already available on Android Market.

It's sleek, has a nice UI and is really fast. It supports uploading photos. Also, I can now see my friend's profile as well.

But the main reason why I liked this app is the addition of two widgets that comes with this app. There is a widget to quickly update status from home screen. And then there is a Phone directory widget. I really liked this one. I can now have phone numbers of my facebook contacts on android's home screen. Also I don't need to update their number when they change it. Hopefully they'll update it on facebook and I'll get the updated number.

I've been using Babbler Lite for sometime and although it has most of the features that this app provides, I am not a big fan of it because it's slow and has a bad UI. The only advantage of Babbler Lite over Facebook app is its integration with twitter.

Hopefully facebook will soon add more features to their app.